The Nighttime Operators Course is now POST Certified
We are proud to announce that the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training has certified our Nighttime Operators Course. The Los Angeles County Regional Training Center can now offer California Law Enforcement Agencies SIX certified courses in Small Unmanned Aircraft System courses.
Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (sUAV) are powerful tools for first responders. However, nighttime operations add complexity that requires specific training and equipment. The FAA maintains that an “applicant must assure all required persons participating in the small unmanned aircraft operation have knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness, and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision.” In this course, students identify night visual illusions and the physiological degradation occurring in darkness, then develop mitigating strategies. Students use state-of-the-art equipment to perform nighttime UAS operations couched in reality-based public safety mission sets.
- Explain the FAA requirements to operate a UAV in darkness
- Receive at least six hours as a member of a nighttime UAS flight crew
- Log at least two hours of flight time.
- Use thermal imagery equipped UAVs for nighttime operations
- Use Infrared equipped UAVs for nighttime operations
- Use white light equipped UAVs for nighttime operations
- Demonstrate support of nighttime public safety operations
- Understand the human physiological effects during night operations
- Identify visual illusions associated with night flying
- Develop techniques to mitigate the risks of night operations
- Examine equipment requirements for operating during hours of darkness
- Create risk mitigation strategies for night operations
Course Length: 2 days (16 hours total)
CA POST Approval: #1287-20187
Max Class Size: 15 Students
Prerequisite: LACRTC 48-hour UAS Operators Course, or 32-hour Basic Pilots Course, or have an FAA Part 107 license
Student Requirements: FAA 107 License
Technical Level: UAS Operators and Supervisors
Recommended For: sUAS Operators and Supervisors / SWAT & Tactical Teams